Published August 11, 2015
All my life I've heard people say, "It takes too much faith to believe in God."
I agree that it does take faith to put your faith in God.
But, have you ever thought about all the other things in life that also take faith other things that you trust without even thinking about it.
- When you got up this morning, the law of gravity was in effect. You got out of bed and assumed you would walk on the floor. It didn't even cross your mind that you could float up to the ceiling instead. You trust in the law of gravity.
- When you open a can of beans purchased in your local grocery store, you have faith there are beans in that can. You would be shocked to open it and find peanut butter.
- When you buy vitamin supplements, it is faith that makes us believe those supplements include the ingredients they say they include. (How could we possibly know?)
- When you travel in an airplane, you believe the plane will fly. You believe the pilot knows how to fly. You believe you will land safely and get off that plane alive and at the right destination.
- When you go to a doctor, you believe he knows medicine and can accurately diagnose and solve your problem. You believe he will give you treatment to correct problems and that he has your best interests at heart.
Recently I read a newspaper account of Dr. Farid Fata, an oncologist from Michigan. He administered anti-cancer drugs that were medically unnecessary and filed claims to Medicare he knew to be fraudulent. One man lost both of his legs due to years of cancer treatments that suppressed his immune system. He did not actually have cancer. Another lady said she lost a sister and her sister's children lost their mother without reason. She was given chemotherapy like any cancer patient but did not have cancer.
Federal prosecutors said Fata bilked Medicare out of as much as $91 million by prescribing unnecessary chemotherapy treatments to his patients, many of whom didn't even have cancer. The entire story turns my stomach.
Life is full of moments of trust. Faith is a necessary part of life. If you are going to believe something, why not believe the Someone who is absolutely trustworthy? Why not believe in something that is eternal? Why not believe in Jesus and His death and resurrection? Why not believe in His coming again? Why not believe in God?
If you are going to have faith have faith in the one who is Faithful.
"Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness" (Psalm 37:3).
"Your faithfulness endures to all generations..." (Psalm 119:90).
"God is faithful, by whom you were called into the fellowship of His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord" (1 Cor. 1:9).
Comments on this? email@example.com.
Copyright 2015 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.