Published May 28, 2013
A recent Gallup poll asked Americans if the state of moral values in America is "getting better" or "getting worse." Nearly three-quarters of Americans (72 percent) said, "worse." (A similar poll by Rasmussen found similar results, with only 30 percent of Americans saying the country is heading in the right direction.)
To you and me the answer to that question might be quite clear, but to have such a majority of Americans agree is somewhat surprising. And it is especially surprising considering the relentless anti-moral, anti-Christian drumbeat from Washington, from academia and in the national media.
How are we to make sense of all we see going on in our culture and our world these days?
One of the easiest ways to judge is to consider this question: Who is more pleased by the issue or occurrence God or Satan?
- Who is more pleased when Christians compromise their long-held beliefs in the name of "tolerance?"
- Who is more pleased when violent Islamists hack to death a British serviceman on the streets of London in the name of religion?
- Who is more pleased when the IRS punishes Christian organizations with impossible, debilitating and punitive demands?
- Who is more pleased when the Boy Scouts allow openly gay members into their formerly "God-honoring," "morally-straight" ranks?
- Who is more pleased when governments in state after state allow (and endorse) same-sex "marriage?"
- Who is more pleased when the government orders Christian chaplains not to pray in Jesus' name (or to "proselytize" by sharing anything about Him)?
- Who is more pleased when displays honoring the Ten Commandments (the foundation of moral law) are ordered removed from public view?
- Who is more pleased when the government supports the abortion industry with policy and even with exorbitant funding?
Now some more personal questions:
- Who is more pleased when you fail to pray?
- Who is more pleased when you think fellowshipping with other believers at church isn't important and stay home?
- Who is more pleased when you don't bother to read your Bible regularly?
- Who is more pleased when your keep your Christian beliefs to yourself instead of telling others?
- Who is more pleased when you take a firm public stand for Godly values?
- Who is more pleased when your fail to take a stand against things God has described as abominations?
- Who is more pleased with the way you live your life?
It shouldn't take long to decide who is more pleased in any of the situations above and in any similar circumstances or choices that come up daily.
There used to be a saying that someone who was taking a bold stand for traditional God-honoring morals was "on the side of the angels." Those today who are tirelessly and insistently advocating stands that are contrary to the clear teachings of God's Word are, too, taking "the side of the angels." Unfortunately, the side they're taking is that of Satan and the fallen angels.
Comments on this? firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright 2013 Heil Enterprises. All rights reserved.
Return to the Archives Index page for more recent columns.